Low Calorie Blueberry Muffins
April 29, 2023
A delicious, healthy and nutritious breakfast muffin recipe! What's more, they are simple to make and you only need 20 minutes to make them. Low in calories, high in protein and a great snack too.
Blueberry muffins are the perfect way to start the day. They're packed with protein and fibre, and they can be modified to make them vegan, gluten-free or dairy-free.
They're also easy to make because all you need is flour, baking powder, egg whites, yoghurt or non-dairy alternative flax seeds and chia seeds) blueberries, some chocolate, an oven and a muffin tin!
Cinnamon also adds a nice flavour to these muffins, but you could also try adding nutmeg or ginger for an even more unique taste. Yoghurt and protein powder are both great ways to add protein, while coconut flour is a great flour substitution for fewer carbs and fewer calories.
Here are all the ingredients and substitutes that you need to make these delicious healthy Blueberry Muffins:
- All-purpose flour: if you want to make it even healthier, you can use oat flour. If you don't have oat flour, you can add in blender oats and blend for a couple of seconds.
- Coconut flour: coconut flour is a great flour substitution for fewer carbs and fewer calories. Otherwise use more of any of the flours mentioned above, just use double the quantity of coconut flour.
- Protein: For this recipe, I recommend using casein or vegan protein. If you use whey protein, you may need to add some more flour. If you don’t have protein at all, replace it with more all-purpose flour.
- Baking powder: You can replace it with bicarbonate soda
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon also adds a nice flavour to these muffins, but you could also try adding nutmeg or ginger for an even more unique taste.
- Egg whites: if not restricted on calories you can use whole eggs. Otherwise, you can replace it with more yoghurt.
- No-calorie syrup: There are plenty no calorie syrups out there, but what I use most is from Myprotein. You can also replace it with honey, agave or maple syrup or any other liquid sweetener you like.
- Yoghurt: my favourite yoghurt is Greek, but Skyr or quark are always great options. Also, plant-based would work well.
Nutrition information per serving (makes 8)